Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Bikini Shopping -Do it, I dare you


I'm in the market for a new bikini (or one piece, not sure yet), and my roomate suggested that I get one from victoria's secret.com.

First thing I thought is NO WAY.

For one, the women designed to wear VS bathing suits, are just not me. I don't know about you, but the only time I ever looked like one of these women (see picture) was when I just got out of the hospital a few years ago for intestinal surgery and I lost 15 lbs in 5 days.

For two, I've never bought a bikini on-line, or any piece of clothing for that matter. I just have to try it on otherwise I'm sure I'll be sending it back.

However, I thought I'd just check the site out to see what they had. Well, what I found was me wallowing in a pit of sorrow after looking at these completely flaw-free fat-free women. I mean, come on, do any women look like this in REAL LIFE????

Then, I smartened up.

Although I'm on a fat loss journey right now, my body is nothing to feel crappy about. I'm fit, I'm healthy, and I look pretty darn good in a bikini. AND I think I look better than these skeleton-like women.

I may still buy a bikini from VS... but at the moment, I just want to tell the company to feature more realistic women. This one gal I posted here is kinda sickly looking. Ugh.

1 comment:

Ivonne W. said...

Ugh. don't get me started.

It isn't just VS. Almost any of these catalogs feature women who (based on popular appeal, not on my personal opinion) look good in ANYTHING, but most likely appear deathly ill NAKED (or clothed, in person). Ritchie Swimwear is another one of those catalogs with unrealistically thin models.

Title Nine is a company that features real-life athletes in their ads, and I love it. Their swim wear department is a bit lacking (in terms of cute bikinis), but I love that they don't sell out and try to pass anorexics for active, athletic women like so many other "fitness"-related companies and publications. Lulu Lemon is another one that features fit models.

Good luck on your quest for a bikini!