Thursday, July 16, 2009

Networking about nutrition in Chicago




Yesterday I flew in and out of Chicago to speak at the American Egg Board - Egg Nutrition Center's Annual Nutrition Meeting. I was presenting the data from my dissertation work that they funded over the past three years.

I wasn't sure what this meeting was going to be all about, but it turned out to be a pleasant experience and a great networking opportunity.

While there, I heard Donald Layman PhD speak. If you don't know who he is, he's basically "THE" expert on protein intake for muscle mass synthesis and satiety. In fact, he shared with us that he's writing his very own diet book all about how higher protein diets improve satiety. I think this one's going to be a winner, and I'm totally looking forward to it.



I also met a great group of nutritionists, researchers and dietitians from Food Minds, a public affairs company. They're doing some great work in the nutrition world, including influencing the direction the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Two of their goals (along with the help of others, are to remove the restrictions on dietary cholesterol (because there's NO reason to restrict this awesome nutrient, especially from eggs) and to encourage Americans to eat more protein to improve satiety and weight control.



Finally, there is a fantastic PR group called Edelman, bringing truth of science to the public, without skewing the messages. Check out their nutrition page and see all the wonderful things they're doing.

I will post more tomorrow about what I learned yesterday protein, eggs and how these can help you maintain a healthy body weight and lots of lean muscle mass. Today, first, I have to go to work!!! :)

In health, Cassandra

1 comment:

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

yay for eggs! One of my several every-day sources of vegetarian protein in my diet!!