Monday, May 4, 2009

70% Hemp Protein coming to stores soon!

A few weekends ago, I had the pleasure of attending the SCAN (sports, cardiovascular and wellness nutrition) meeting (a practice group of the American Dietetic Assoc.) in beautiful Phoenix Arizona.

While there, I checked out the vendors and was thrilled to seem my fellow Canadians from Manitoba Harvest, Hemp Foods and Oils there promoting their tasty and nutritious hemp products.

Even more exciting was that they were revealing a brand-new hemp protein product that is going to make many people very happy. I've pictured the product here as I was lucky enough to get a whole container of it to try.

Unlike other hemp proteins, this product is 70% protein, containing (like other high quality protein products), 21 grams of complete protein, 4.5 grams of fat (essential ALA and healthy GLA), and only 4.5 grams of carbohydrates!!!

The product is gluten-free, contains no artificial sweeteners and is also Kosher! (I have a few Jewish friends, so this was a bonus).

I have used this product now many times in my morning breakfast smoothies. My normal smoothy is to blend a serving of the hemp protein with 1/2 cup of the organic, natural Hemp Bliss milk (also from Manitoba Harvest), 1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup frozen berries, 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp of Earth's Promise Purple Berry Pomegranate, and 1/4 cup dry oats. This high protein, good fats and healthy carb breakfast shake gives me great energy in the morning and provides me with 27 grams of high quality protein! I love it!

Unfortunately, this hemp product is not yet available on the Manitoba Harvest website, but it will be very soon. I'll keep you all posted on the status of it, or you can check out the website yourself for updates.

I predict that this product is going to be very popular, not just with people who choose a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, but those looking for alternative protein sources other than whey or.... dare I say it... soy.

I like this product because it tastes great, but it gives me something else to have in my morning smoothies other than cow's whey. I have issues normally with cow milk protein, so I try to limit it when I can.

Keep your eyes out for this product! It's great and you're going to love it!

2 comments:

janelle said...

It almost sounds too good to be true! I wonder (a) how much it costs and (b) what it tastes like! lol

Anonymous said...

Hey Cass. Listened to you on the FitCast and you were great! Hope you come back!
Deb