Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Don't believe those High Fructose Corn Syrup commericals


It's all a conspiracy.


Our society is really trying to make us fat and unhealthy so drug companies can get richer and richer.


The food we have available is all tainted with sugar (seriously, it's in EVERYTHING) and we're served SUPER sizes like it's normal to eat like a behemoth!


Then, we pave everything in sight and place it several miles apart so you have no other means of transportation but sitting on your a** in a car! (You could bike, but those cars would try to hit you!).


Check out this feedback about our "governments" new stance on high fructose corn syrup. Apparently it comes from corn, so it's not bad for you.....


Give me a break. The most poisonous food in the world is a natural mushroom. Maybe we should dine on those tonight too, eh?


Sorry I haven't been posting much lately. To fill you in: I just finished the first rotation of my dietetic internship (community portion) and it was a TON of work, but an extremely amazing experience. My last day was halloween and I dressed up as a German Bar Maid. It was so much fun and I totally miss being there.

Now, I'm on to my next rotation (food service) at a school system. I get to work with kids K-12 and do things food service related (whatever that is... ) :) This one goes until the first week of February and then I move on to my clinical rotation until the end of June 2009.

I still need to write my disseration and am managing a family and business. What am I thinking? So many balls in the air, so few hands. :)


I'll blog again before the weekend. I promise.


Thanks for hanging in there with me!

7 comments:

Jenny Westerkamp, RD said...

Hello!

Your blog caught my eye and I wanted to let you know about All Access Internships, a website devoted to helping students during the search and application to dietetic internships! Check it out at www.allaccessinternships.com and let any of your undergrad/grad classmates know about this resource! We collect testimonials on intern experiences to, so please direct any past interns to our website!
I have listed off a few ways I thought you might be interested in getting involved in All Access Internships, since it seems as though you have a knack for helping out other students by contributing to your blog. Here are a few ideas:

1. Write a review of All Access Internships on your blog. Let your blog readers know about the resource and highlight a few features!
2. Share your experience in the internship and write an article for All Access Internships (go to GET INVOLVED-->SUBMISSIONS on the homepage)
3. Tell dietetics students/current interns about AAI (and submit a survey found on the home page)
4. Post a link to AAI on your blog
5. Be apart of the Student Involvement Program (going to GET INVOLVED-->JOIN US on the website)
6. Send an email to your DPD director telling them about AAI and encouraging to pass along the resource to their students
7. Let me know of any other resources available to students applying to DIs (great websites you found during your search and application?)
8. Any other ideas you have that could help dietetics students through this process. Katie (my partner) and I feel that the more students are able to use AAI and contribute to it, the greater the resource will become for future students, thus better preparing them for our profession!

Also, we are going to add a new section to RESOURCES called "Intern Bloggers". Would you be interested in having your blog listed here?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Jenny Westerkamp
Chief Operating Officer, All Access Internships

Ryan Wanger said...

The best part about these commercials are that they have actually RAISED awareness for HFCS. People have been googling it like crazy since the campaign started. Of course, most of the search results do not make it look good. OOPS!

Check it out: http://www.thereluctanteater.com/2008/10/proof-sweet-surprise-high-fructose-corn.html

Sara said...

Thanks for saying exactly what I was thinking about those commercials. It's wild that they expect us to believe the hype, especially with the tiny letters at the bottom stating "Paid for by the Corn Refiners Association." That's like vampires paying for commercials that claim having your blood sucked is beneficial.

I discovered your blog after reading "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", and I'm currently reading "The Perfect Body Diet." Thanks for all your hard work in diet & nutrition, and for helping a total stranger get healthy! :)

Jeff and Natalie Perez said...

Those commericals anger me so much because people will actually believe them. Anyway, glad you blogged even with your crazy busy schedule.

theoddbod said...

wow, never seen those commercials up here in canada. although they do sound intellectually stimulating!

Jon said...

Funny that I read this post today. I just went to my local fitness supplements store yesterday to pick up some whey protein. Now, I typically use Biotest supplements but wanted to try a flavor out of the normal standards. So I decided to go and pick up a tub of Cookies 'n Cream ON whey. So I bought and took it home. When I got home I started looking at the ingredients a little closer and saw {cue dramatic music here} HFCS! I was like, "WTF". Thank goodness I don't live far from the store, because I got right back in my car and took the stuff back. I was shocked to see HFCS in a "nutrition" supplement.

Cynthia1770 said...

Hi Cassandra,
Great site and I admire your ambition!
The CRA has twisted the elbows of the FDA, the AMA, and recently the
editorial board of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, but one thing they can't do is change the math. HFCS-55, which sweetens all national brands of soda, has the sugar ratio (55%fructose:45% glucose.) While that ratio appears to be only marginally different from the ratio in sucrose (50:50), it is not. If you do the math correctly 55/45=1.22. That means that everytime a teenager chugs a Coke or Pepsi (bottled in the US) they are receiving, in excess of glucose, 22% extra fructose. I'm sure you are well versed in the long term health hazards resulting from high fructose intake.
Good luck and take care